Friday, September 18, 2009

NICU

Reality Rounds has several amazing, heartwrenching posts about life as a NICU nurse, about the ethics of treating or not treating fetuses on the edge of viability. Read in this order:

The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is a War Zone

Is Letting a 21 Week Premature Baby Die, Considered Health Care Rationing?

NICU Nurses are Baby Killers?


This reminds me of the post I wrote in the middle of my last pregnancy about what I might do if I had an extremely premature baby. I still don't know all of the answers to that question--I am just glad that my two children were born at term, healthy, and ready to be earth-side. I'll give them an extra snuggle tonight.

3 comments:

  1. this one too:
    http://realityrounds.com/2009/08/11/for-they-know-not-what-they-do/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my son at 20 weeks when I went into preterm labor this year. He was still alive when I arrived at the hospital. At the time, my husband and I were in anguish that none of the hospital staff even discussed the possibility of his survival with us. In retrospect, we know that watching him suffer would have been worse than what actually happened (he passed away in utero a few hours later and was stillborn). I wish that no mother ever had to face these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lonelymom,
    I am so sorry for your loss and what you went through. I am also sorry that the staff were not compassionate and honest with you during this time. It can also be hard for staff to confront perinatal loss issues, but it is our duty to offer you choices and comfort. I also wish no mother would have to face these difficulties.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...