Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Home Birth Summit!

I'm heading off to the Home Birth Summit early tomorrow morning. I am so excited to participate! There are about 80 delegates attending (click on their names for bios), some of whom I know in person and others I know through reading their books or articles. I can't wait to meet Lauren Plante or Mark Sloan, author of Birth Day.

If you aren't attending but would like to contribute, you can do the following:

1. Share your thoughts here

2. Help cover my registration costs by purchasing a sling or advertising on my blog. I have a current 3-for-1 advertising promotion where you can purchase 3 months for the price of 1, or 1 month at 67% off! The Summit received grant money to cover some travel expenses, but I still have to pay for registration and housing (~$600) on my own. Finances are tight right now and I almost didn't go. But I just couldn't pass up on such an important event.

I might not be able to offer matching ceramic yoni charm bracelets, but I'll definitely give you a virtual home birth hug-fest.
.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rixa! Sorry to go off topic, but I seem to remember a plush diaper with the international breastfeeding symbol on your site. Am I crazy, or did you do a giveaway with one of those once? =) I really want to see if I can buy one somewhere, but search engine searches aren't producing the plush one. There's a pocket diaper with the symbol embroidered on it, but I seem to remember the plush one and kind of prefer that one! I've searched your site too, but can't seem to find it! Maybe I'm just nutso. If you have a chance, point me towards it, or let me know my memory is off! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To all HBS delegates from home birth consumers -- do not sell out the CPM credential or try to force CPM education into an institutional model. Education for home birth midwives must be community-based and accessible to low income women and women of color. Moving it to the university is not only a bad idea but simply will not work. Forcing nurses to get bachelor's degrees did nothing to improve how MDs treated or thought about them. And, even if it were a good idea (which it isn't), moving CPM education to university campuses would never happen in the US because of opposition from nursing and medical schools.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...