Friday, May 31, 2013

Ivy is 2 months (and change)

Zari finished kindergarten yesterday, so we're officially on summer holidays now. I've been doing lots of gardening. So far, here's what I've done...
  • moved all the asparagus plants to one location
  • planted 20 white cabbages, 3 red cabbages, 3 cauliflower, 8 tomatoes, 2 raspberries, 6 romaine lettuce, 10 basil, rosemary, oregano, cilantro
  • transplanted chives, lavender, fruit bushes from our other house (june berry, red currant, josta berry, honey berry), and about a zillion hostas
  • dug up some areas of weedy lawn near the house, installed brick edging, and planted perennials
  • planted 4 more dwarf fruit trees in our orchard, for a total of 7. I'd like to add some peaches and one more variety of apple
  • built some large cages covered with chicken wire to keep the squirrels out of our strawberries (they're working!)

...and what I still need to do:
  • till our main garden area (adding in compost, peat moss, and perlite to the heavy soil), which consists of eight 12x4' beds
  • plant the main vegetable garden with Masai bush beans, edamame, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, beets, watermelon, and other yummy things
  • plant some grapes if they're still in the garden centers...I'd love to have a few varieties to eat
  • transplant my sage & garlic (they're currently residing in one of the flower beds)
  • mulch all of our vegetable and flower gardens to keep the weeds at bay 
  • try to trap the squirrels and rabbits that are eating our garden

Yes, I really love working in the garden. It's mentally relaxing and provides a good workout at the same time.

Ivy is a roly-poly baby now. She's pleasantly chubby but not crazy chubby like Inga was. She smiles all the time and has settled into a fairly predictable routine of nursing, being awake, and napping in 2-hour cycles. And she lets me put her down for naps now! She goes to bed between 7-8 pm and has a nice long sleep before waking to nurse, often midnight or 1 am and sometimes as late as 3 am. Then she nurses every 2+ hours the rest of the night. This just started last week.



She loves playing Patty Cake and The Itsy Bitsy Spider and Once There Was A Snowman. She's starting "talking" to us with little gurgles and coos.


Inga is starting to be very temperamental. It's such a drastic change from her normal easygoing self. Maybe it's because she's getting 3 molars at once? Or maybe it's just that she's 2 years old and wants to assert her independence all the time. "No, my do it!" is a constant refrain. Fortunately she calms down easily if I tell her "Ask the right way, please."


Oh, and some good news: we have an accepted offer on our old brick house, the one where Dio and Inga were born. We'll be closing in a few weeks! I'm glad to get rid of one of our properties, although I will miss the master bathroom that we remodeled when I was 7 months pregnant with Inga...

The kids horsing around in the bath. Zari said she was a zombie.


And finally, a typical morning. Kids are tumbling around showing me their "tricks," Ivy is hanging out on the bed kicking her legs while I'm getting ready.


3 comments:

  1. Sofia says "No, my do it" All The Time. Thankfully, she doesn't do it in a snotty way; rather it's a gentle correction, as if I didn't know that she was indeed capable of doing everything herself. :-)

    Not that she doesn't have her tantrums - the child will look around the room for something small enough that she can grab and throw and purposefully walk over to it, purposefully pick it up and quite purposefully fling it across the room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Damon and Inga are on the same wave length. ; ) Glad to know we aren't alone in the temperamental twos...it's funny how I've forgotten/blocked out some of the challenging parts with my first child, even though I know this age was a challenge with him too.

    And sweet Ivy looks adorable. Cannot believe she is 2 months. Sigh. It just goes so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that they give her toys. I think, for kids, that is probably the best sign of affection they can think of! =)

    Also, love the amount of bubbles in your bubble bath.

    Looks like you're really enjoying your family and that is just splendid. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...