Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reflections at 8 weeks postpartum

I feel fully "back to life" again. My postpartum bleeding has finally stopped this last week. It was done in 10-12 days with my first two. Not so with Inga and Ivy.


I started exercising today, and I soon realized that I have no core! My stomach is still really squishy and bulging, more than I remember it being with the other kids. If you're interested, I run sprint intervals based on this research. Basically, I run 30 second sprints at maximum intensity with 2-3 minutes recovery, x 4-6 repetitions. I've been doing a lot of gardening, too.

Ivy is starting to settle into a routine at night. I usually can put her down around 8pm and have a few hours of baby-free evening time. I'll often head outside and garden until it gets too dark or until the bugs drive me back inside. Eric and I are watching old episodes of MI-5 (a.k.a. Spooks). Ivy nurses every 2-3 hours at night. Just what I'd expect at her age. She sleeps really well in between nursing, so I feel very well rested.

She also sleeps really well with her grandpa!


In her "baby jail", a.k.a. swaddle wrap.

Her daytime schedule still has no discernible pattern. Sometimes she'll nap for 20 minutes, other times for 2-3 times that long. I remember that my other kids usually settled into a predictable routine around 4 months.

Ivy started smiling when she was 5 1/2 weeks old. They're still fleeting, but I've seen lots more the past few days. I'm glad to have these exciting milestones. They make up for the happy-sad feelings I get when my infants turn into babies and my babies into toddlers...and on and on.


Now for some birth analysis...

I suspect that Ivy might have been posterior the whole labor and pushing stage, until about 5 minutes before the birth. I had constant rectal pressure almost the whole labor...not the "I have to puuuuuush" pressure, just icky uncomfortable pressure that never subsided. I've never had this with my other labors. I think that's also why I didn't feel the endorphin rush between contractions. When I showed my birth video to a group of Home Birth Summit participants, one of the OBs said Ivy was likely posterior and finally rotated about 5 minutes before the birth in that gigantic contraction that brought her down. There's no way to know for sure, but there are so many little things that all point towards that possibility. If so, no wonder why it was my most challenging labor!

More family pictures from our surprise visit to Minnesota:


 


Dio's Angry Bird birthday cake. Really simple. Peanut butter bars were the building blocks, and mini cupcakes with green frosting were the pigs. All on top of a dark chocolate tart (for the adults!). He threw some Angry Bird toys at the structure until it all collapsed.


7 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh, Rixa, those pictures with grandpa are so heart-melting! She is such a little sweetie...I love when little babies' round bellies look like they are begging to be gently squeezed. :-) Your family is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your family pics (they are wonderful!) and the sleepy pics with Grandpa. The Angry Bird cake is genius! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of grandpa and ivy! So beautiful!!! You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. It is so very 4th baby-esque! for lack of a better term.
    "I had a baby a while ago, we did some stuff, I am fine, my body is doing its thing, giving birth is hard... AND... I made a birthday cake."
    It sums up mothering many children at once so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are TWO pictures of Dio smiling in this post! He's such a serious little guy usually; that's gotta be a record.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The family photos are gorgeous! And the Angry Birds cake is so cute. My son would love that too.

    Any thoughts on the Tupler Technique (ab exercises)? I also am pretty squishy and decided to give it a try this time around. I miss my stomach. = /

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I wonder if bleeding lasts longer with # 3 or # 4 because you are busier with the first two or three as well! Just a thought that I've wondered about myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...